You bought a VPS and you want to give magic powers to it? Here is an interesting list of things you can do!
- Publish your personal website (blog or your CV).
Apache and WordPress is a perfect duo.
- Setup a mail server with Dovecot and Postfix (part1, part2).
Access your mail from browser using Roundcube
- Run a private cloud.
Nextcloud is not just a storage cloud but a powerful system with nice apps to install (bookmarks, notes, talk and chat, media streaming etc…)
- Continuous integration and delivery: you can build your own apps with Maven or Gradle and If you are a CI&CD addicted there is only one solution: Jenkins to “Build great things at any scale“
- Maven central or Gradle repo? Nah, it’s absolutely better a self-hosted artifact repository like Nexus
- Telegram bot runner: deploy your TG bots. Here an introduction
- Get your url shorter with URLHum: a simple PHP url shortener for everyday life
- Web scraping and notification system: are you interested in updates from a specific website? Scrape it and get notified! Python guide
- Interested to know when a website you manage is down…build your own notification system or run Huggin
- Cronjobs for everything: your crontab has super powers, don’t ignore them
- Boosted gaming with TeamSpeak: stay in contact with other players
- Run a personal git server with Gitlab or Gogs (lighter then Gitlab)
If you are considering a VPS, a good choice is OVH VPS
You can find other software at this Github repo: github.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.